Day 22: Site speed
Site speed is one of the ranking factors by Google. If a site will load in less time, it will give a better user experience. The user is likely to switch from your website to another tab if your site takes more than 1 to 2 seconds to load. For any search engine, a site that loads faster is valuable and thus it is given a higher ranking than others. By site speed, we mean the time taken by your web pages to load. Make sure your site is super quick too load and responsive. Getting the best load time can be tough, but this can be time by using some tools.
There are some tools that you can use to check your site speed and find ways to increase it-
- Google Page speed Insight
- Webpage test
- YUI Compressor
- GT Matrix
Google will soon consider site speed as a ranking factor for site speed as well. Analyse what is the size of your webpage. Try to remove the unnecessary content, optimize your images, and include less external ads and scripts. Let us now have a look at some ways by which you can improve your site speed:
- Optimise your codes– Remove the unnecessary spaces, commas, and characters from your code. By this, you can easily improve your site speed. You should also remove code comments, formatting, and unused code.
- Reduce redirection pages– The user has to face extra time whenever any of your pages redirect to another one.
- Optimize your images– Do not make your images larger and big if not needed. Put the images in a proper format. PNG format is better for display because it takes fewer than 16 colors to display whereas JPEGs are better for photographs. Compress your images for the web.
- Reduce browser caching– Browsers usually cache some information like images, scripts etc when you visit a website. This is because if you visit the same website again, it does not have to reload all the information again. You can set tools to set an expiration date for all your cache. Ideally, a year is sufficient to set it as the expiration date of your site cache. You can use a tool like YSlow for this purpose.